Erica's Missionary Adventures

Erica's Missionary Adventures
Merry Christmas from Mesa!

Sunday, December 7, 2014

December 1, 2014


"Look who I met!!
I asked if she had met "Shelly Brady" at the
Portland Time Out for Women and she

said "yes! I did!"  So i said "that's my mom!!" And then she told
us to keep our beautiful smiles and to keep the sparkles in our eyes.
😇 What a sweetheart!! Sister Brady and her companion with
Sister Elaine Dalton at the Mesa Temple.

It is true! I did meet Elaine Dalton just a few weeks ago at
our Portland TOFW event! I even gave her a ride back
to her hotel with my dear friend, LaRene Garlock!


Emily met her too! Here they are:
Emily, Abby Garlock
and Sister Elaine Dalton!
Dear Dad,

You were in one of my dreams this week. This one wasn't as clear as other dreams I have had, but I do remember that you were wearing a very nice scarf, you were marrying a couple, and you were holding a chicken. And it was all taking place at our old house on Nancy Drive out on the deck.

I came to realize something this week about you and mom. You two are exactly obedient. And you two have used the Atonement to become even better parents throughout your years. Not to say that you were bad parents when raising your younger kids, but you know how you hear from people "my younger siblings get it easy because my parents got more relaxed as they got older" well, you two did not do that! You have consistently followed the words of the prophets and raised us kids without backing down or "going easy" on us. I remember in later years mom deciding that we should only read church appropriate material on the Sabbath. I couldn't understand why we had to make that rule NOW!! But I see now it was mom wanting to become a little bit better! And both you and mom decided that 14 was too young for boy girl parties once I hit age 14. I hated it then, but I see now that you wanted to protect me and only allow me into the safest of situations. And I LOVE you two for that!! It is exactly how I want to raise my kids!!

Whew that was a mouthful. Sorry. I hope that all made sense.

Anyway, I have been giving a lot of thought about one thing you said last week, "beware of pride." I hadn't realized it, but it has slowly been creeping its way back to me this last transfer. I'm grateful you said something because I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise. I am still struggling very much in that area and I have a lot of humbling that I need to be doing. I just tend to feel so deserving of everything and I often feel very entitled. Its terrible. Humility is the attribute that I am going to focus on this week.

I have been watching some of the episodes of "the Joseph Smith Papers" during lunch. Have you seen that series?! It is fascinating!! I love it!! I am hype- focused on learning about the restoration. :)

I love you so much Dad :). I have no idea if any of this letter made sense. But I love you!!

Love,
Sister Brady

Letter # 2

Dear Mom,

This has been a great week!! I especially loved yesterday when someone gave a talk at church that addressed my exact concerns at the moment!  Also, I received a few letters this week from friends, and all of them addressed the same problem!! God is so very aware of us and our needs.

I got the Christmas package!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE CHRISTMAS SWEATER!! I have worn it every day :) 

 I keep trying to hide the box so that I am not tempted to open the presents. I will forget about it for a few days, but then i accidentally find it again and then I'm tempted to open it :/ ESPECIALLY when I am feeling grumpy :( hahahaha so then I go and hide it again. Its been working so far! Only 25 days to Christmas!!

I am excited about you working with the missionaries. I too can feel something powerful is about to happen. And it all probably started because of a diligent woman who faithfully did her visiting teaching every month.

Nope, dating is the scariest thing I will ever have to face. Scarier than spiders and scorpions and waves. Is there any way I can avoid it? I hereby give you and dad permission to set up an arranged marriage for me. [YES!!!!! - Shelly speaking here :)!!!]

Yes I think we will skype for our Christmas phone call!

I forgot to get Benadryl last week, so I will try it this week. I think I am most grumpy when I can't sleep at night. Ugh.

Will someone (Emily) kindly keep a list of all the movies I need to see when I get back in seven and a half years? I am not going to because that would be totally inappropriate, but I would appreciate it if someone (Emily) would. :)

Wow, and thank you for those quotes!! Especially the first two. I have been feeling mildly gloomy this week, so those were all perfect!

OH and i had the most wonderful thought of inspiration this morning. Education is going to be a huge part of my life. I already know that. But I am convinced that if I am always allowing myself to learn new things (both about the gospel and temporal things), I will be given the strength I need to endure. Learning makes me happy and it makes me feel uplifted. So right now, as a missionary, I will focus on the spiritual learning side of things, but I will make a goal to ALWAYS be learning spiritual and temporal things when I get home in five years.
I love you mom!!

Love,
Sister Brady (bahaha I almost signed it "Shelly Brady")

Letter # 3

Dear family,
Guess who i saw at the visitor's center on Tuesday?!?! ELDER LINN!! It was so crazy!! I walked out of the bathroom, saw him, froze for about 5 seconds, and then finally went "Elder Linn!!" And I walked over to him, shook his hand and then he said "Como Esta!?" And I didn't know how to respond cause my brain was trying to process both Spanish and the fact that Elder Linn was right there, and then I realized he was sort of in the middle of a lesson, so I walked away slowly with a huge grin on my face. It was great and it made my whole night! Seriously, seeing someone from home was kind of a Christmas miracle!
And another Christmas miracle was when we went to go visit a less-active member of ours. He invited us to the backyard (cause there was no third female with us) and just when we were about to share our message (the He is the gift video).... Out walked one of the non-members who is living in his basement!!! We invited him to watch
the video with us and he pulled up a chair! After the video we bore our testimonies and we were able to talk with both of them about their thoughts on god. It was very good because we have been praying to know if we should quit teaching this investigator. This was God's way of saying "don't give up on him yet!!"
THANKSGIVING WAS SO FUN!!! We played chair soccer as a zone, and I owned it!! (Bahaha, well, my team owned it) We won all three rounds!! And then we went to play turkey bowl with another ward. That's right! I
played football for the first time in my life!! And I wore my Christmas sweater the whole time! And I scored a touchdown!!! Dad, add that to the list of sports we will play when I get back in six years!
Then we ate a lot of dinners, and in the evening we got to watch "The Work and the Glory" with all the Sisters in our zone. (With permission from president) Bahahaha there is WAY too much kissing in that movie!!!! I love that movie.
It was a fun week. I know that God hears our prayers and is mindful of us. I am so grateful for people who act on promptings they receive! Because this week i was on the receiving end of a lot of promptings acted on. It has inspired me to be more aware of the spirit and what things Heavenly Father needs me to do for his children.
Happy Christmas everyone!!
Love,
Sister Brady



No comments:

Post a Comment