Erica's Missionary Adventures

Erica's Missionary Adventures
Merry Christmas from Mesa!

Friday, October 16, 2015

October 12, 2015

 Ian the Olympian!

Sister Hall sprained her ankle at zone sports last week :( 

I took this picture a couple days ago
and the bruise has continued to spread. 
:(
Dear Mom and Dad,

So this week the whole mission helped out at a Triathlon. Their were 3 shifts and me and my companions signed up for the 3rd shift which helps with giving out awards, the kids "splash and dash", and the final clean up. So we get to our shift and some of the fastest Triathlon athletes were finishing up and as I looked at their faces I felt this weird emotional wave come over me, but I let it slide because I mean... It's a triathlon!! Who even cries at a triathlon, right?

So then we start helping with the kids splash and dash. Pretty much the kids swim a couple laps in the pool and then they have to hop out and run a mile on the track! And some of these were really little kids! Like some looked like they were 3 and 4 years old! Anyway, so my job was to help the kids at the end of the swimming pool so that they knew where to hop out. The kids all lined up and then off they went! As soon as they finally got to the end of the pool I started clapping and cheering and saying "you can do it! Come on! All the way! Whoooo---" and then I suddenly got all choked up with emotion. And I actually started crying!!

Hahaha!! I am sure the parents thought I was the craziest volunteer/missionary. And when the kids were running the mile they did so good on the first two laps, but then you could see it start to wear on them and some of them had their parents out on the track with them encouraging and running the last two laps with them and I was just an emotional wreck. The Elders were like "... Um.... are you okay Sister Brady.....?

And then I continued to cry as the adults finished their triathlon. It was an emotional day for me.

And why did I cry at a triathlon, you ask? Maybe it's because it's incredible to see so many people accomplish something so hard. Maybe it's because I have just started running and I could literally feel
their pain. (But really it's probably because it was a certain time of the …. and if we had helped with this triathlon two weeks ago, I probably wouldn't have even been emotional.... #hormones.... But you can feel free to leave this part out of your forwarded letters ;)). [But I did leave it in . . . because it is kind of funny :/ plus I wonder if anyone even reads the blog . . . ] But I really don't know what the answer is because as far as I can remember this is the first time I've ever been to to a triathlon! I've never even seen the end of a marathon or been at the real live Olympics or anything!! I bet I would be emotional at one of those....

Okay, that was a lot. Sorry! Haha!!

This week I had an exchange with Sister P****. We helped someone pack boxes and we went to a mutual activity with a young woman who is getting baptized on Halloween (same as C****!) she is Samoan and the mutual activity was a talent show, so she did a Samoan dance!! It made me miss Hawaii!!!!!!

We also taught F***** the restoration this week! It was Sister H****'s first time leading a discussion!! She did great and F**** had some really great questions!

Yes! Move to NYC with me! I will take care of you guys!! And then you guys can walk Central Park every morning and you could even own your own hot dog cart and make a little extra money on the side! Haha! I might even hire you guys to be my agents if you want!

Hey - will you please set up a dentist appointment for me when I get back?

I heard about the angels story! How wonderful!! It reminds me of the amazing things that the children said when Christ visited the Nephites.

I can't be an actress in Oregon :/ there is nothing to act on there...

Sue (Heck from the Middle) is at college??!? What??? When did she graduate??? Who is she rooming with?? Do the teachers at college remember her?

Haha!! yes I love MyPlan....

 Muddy Buddies!!
A member made this for us!
It made me happy :)

Why did mutual get canceled??? Emily should do things with S**** on the weekend. Or you guys should invite her over for FHE. Her and her family if they want to come! I want to meet S**** during Christmas break! Emily should also make sure to personally invite S***** to the play Emily is in. You guys could even offer to give her a ride on one of the nights that you go. You guys could bring her cookies, or "heart attack" her door, or invite her to sing in the church choir with you on Sundays, etc. Does S**** play any sports or do anything extra curricular? Because that would also be a good way to fellowship her is by going to any of her special events. Like if she plays sports, Emma could bring some friends from mutual to go cheer S**** on, or if she is in a club Emma could bring friends to go to support S***** in any special events that she has! Things like that :) and then S****** would get to meet and become familiar with more friends from church :)

Hahahahahaha! Dad you make me laugh when you talked about getting all dressed up but still wearing your pajama bottoms!! Hahaha! I can just picture it! So when you guys teach online, does Emma skype in from a different computer, or does she just sit behind you in the video or something?

Wow! Two blessings! That's a lot!

Yes I have played skip-bo before!! Haha!!

So every night this week I have either had dreams about or just been kept up all night about things that are going to be stressful after my mission. So please pray for me specifically that I will be able to
continue to focus on the work and not let future stresses keep me up at night (or enter my dreams) :( it's really a bummer.

Also, this week I have been feeling like I might need to be somewhere else for my last area/transfer. But then at the same time I have been having a lot of people say small thank you's to things that I've done since I've been here and I can't tell if that means I should stay because I have been doing a lot, or if it's a confirmation that I should leave because I have done a lot.... I don't know!! Good thing it's really up to the Lord :)

OBOB [Oregon Battle of the Books – that I am teaching/running after school at the Middle School] sounds so fun!! What books are they reading?? Did you know that there is a 4th book in the Giver series??!? I didn't know that till I was on my mission! I read and loved the first 3 and I am excited to read the 4th one!

I have heard of the play Our Town but I have never seen it! Tell Emma to tell me about it!

Were the kittens alive?!??! What did you guys do with them??!? Are they okay???!?

I love the zoo!!!! I want to go to the zoo when I am home!!!!

Elder Johnson [our visiting general authority] sounds awesome! Good job, Emma for being ready at all times to share her testimony!

Good job on choosing to make the Sabbath day more holy.... But when am I supposed to catch up on movies when I am home? … Hahahahahahahaha!!! JUST KIDDING!!! ;D


Okay I love you so much mom and dad!!

Love,
Sister Brady

We met a potential/former investigator this week. He was quite the character...

But he invited us in and asked us a couple questions. He kept going
about how he's already been "recruited" and that he wasn't interested
(but he totally showed up for church last week.... Only problem was
that it was General Conference last week so no one was there :/) haha
His friend is an Olympian. He was in the 2012 Olympics in one of the
running events. The Olympians first name is Ian. I don't remember his
last name....

Our potential investigator also owns a movie studio so he had things
all over his house that came from movies. It was pretty cool!

PeeWee Herman's bicycle.
It stands for "I Am Not A Mormon" ...... Hahaha...



No comments:

Post a Comment